Monday, February 8, 2010

I am training for a marathon. I know to some of you that seems like a big deal and to others it seems like a minor thing. For me, it is huge. I use the word huge on purpose for a couple of reasons: 1. the task of training and actually running in the marathon (I have run a couple of 1/2 marathons) is a lot of work. 2. By comparison to most people, I do not look like a guy that should be entertaining thoughts of a marathon. Although I am in very good cardio shape, I still am 6'2" and 260 lbs. That means I am HUGE, although my beautiful wife would issue a similarly HUGE denial, the fact remains that I am bigger than most anyone I see training for endurance events.

I guess what I am getting at is that if I can do it, it seems like anyone should be able to do it. I have always had trouble with my weight. As a favorite TV character of mine frequently opines: " I am not FAT, I am big-boned. So I am a big guy and I always have been. I am OK with that and it isnt going to stop me from training. It may take me longer to get to the finish line, BUT I WILL get there. I think that is the attitude that everyone should have I WILL. So many people use the words I CAN'T, I DONT HAVE TIME, I AM TOO BIG, I DONT KNOW WHERE TO START or any phrase that begins with the word BUT as an excuse. Folks, get out there and DO IT. Get off your BUT (LOL), make some goals, reach those goals and reset them a little higher. When we are on our deathbed, will you be sad that you didnt get to watch more TV or play more video games or will you be sad that you didnt get out and DO SOMETHING!

Over this last weekend with the Eustis Fit Club we were able to WALK/RUN around Silver Lake in Leesburg, FL. It is a three mile flat journey and it was such a nice cool day that several of us did it twice. If you are interested in doing some long runs with me.....over 10 miles, please email me at ssherman@cnbt-fl.com.

Until next time....take care
Shane

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I think my husband is wonderful, beautiful and the best. I wouldn't use "huge" as a descriptive. He is training hard to increase that mileage and unless we find someone willing to train and do that marathon, that just leaves me to train with him. Come on people!!! Save me!! LOL....shawna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Training for and completing a marathon is such an admirable thing to do. It should be on everyone's bucket list. Train hard and do your best. It all starts with attitude. Yours is right on track!

    ReplyDelete
  3. JUST KEEP ADDING THE MILEAGE. Time and miles will do it and it should be fun on the way.

    ReplyDelete